..."I say to you, arise!" (Mk 5:41)
The rest of our time in Ilo Ilo was quite the experience. There are not enough words to describe the things I saw or the people I encountered. But here are a few things I've learned over the next three days (Feb 1-4, 2011) of the medical mission.
-A baby who cries for something she needs sounds different than a baby who cries for something she wants. A baby that has adapted to not getting what she needs doesn't cry nearly as much as a baby that always gets what she wants.
-Pain is relative. Happiness is relative. In some places, even health is relative.
-A mother will stand in line all day for a one month supply of multivitamins for her well child, but will not get checked for her own debilitating ailments.
-Real servants do with their whole hearts...out of love...without asking "why?" or "why me?". Did Jesus ever ask, "why Me?"
-Surgeons can perform in the midst of a brownout!
-They weren't kidding when they told me to "eat the langka, but take an imodium with it!" I should have listened. Which leads me to the last point...
-Doctors and nurses get sick, too!
The Gospel for February 1st speaks of the little girl who rose at the sound of Christ's voice. It was Jesus that took her out of death. Much like in this town that we are serving, it will take Jesus to liberate the people from sickness and hopelessness. Praise God that even for a short amount of time, they may be able to see Christ in each of us.
I definitely saw Christ in each of them.
No comments:
Post a Comment